ads by google
After a wait of almost 4 years, one of the best aircrafts available in the world- Dreamliner (Boeing 787) touched down at Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport on September, 8, 2012. ‘Air-India’ had placed an order of 27 dreamliners in 2006 and in 2008, it was supposed to be delivered but the delivery was delayed due to design and production issues at Boeing’s (US aircraft company) end. This led to a ‘compensation dispute’ between the government and the Boeing which got resolved a few weeks ago only.
This is the first of the 27 256-seater aircraft ordered by the state-run airline.
The aircraft has 18 full-flat business class seats with flat-bed recline, and 238 economy class seats. The carrier will take delivery of two more Dreamliners in the next few weeks.
10 Quick Facts about Dreamliner:
- Dreamliner is a long-range, mid-size wide-body,twin-engine jet airliner developed by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Its full name is Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
- It seats 210 to 290 passengers, depending on the variant. The Indian Dreamliner is a 256- seater.
- At present, there are four variants of Boeing 787 Dreamliner, with the longest-range variant capable of flying over 15,000 km non-stop.
- Japan’s ‘All Nippon Airways’ was the first airlines in the world to have ordered thisThe first commercial flight of ‘Dreamliner’ was from Tokyo’s Narita airport to Hong Kong on October 26, 2011. There were 240 passengers on board then.
- According to Boeing, it is the company’s most fuel-efficient airliner. It consumes 20% less fuel than the similar size Boeing 767.
- The most distinguishing features include four-panel windshield, noise-reducing chevrons on its engine nacelles, and a smoother nose contour.
- Other salient features are: ambient lighting and higher air pressure, 30 per cent bigger windows that can be dimmed electronically, seat-to-seat email and bidet-equipped lavatories.
- In India, the Dreamliner will cost around $210 million, cheaper than the widely-used 777, which costs $260 million.
- India has placed an order of 27 dreamliners.
- The maker of this aircraft i.e. Boeing is a US based aircraft.