Written by Super User
This image is not a real image. It is an illustration of how Curiosity landed on the surface of Mars
Mars 'Curiosity' Rover Mission Quick Facts:
- This mission seeks to understand whether Mars was, is, or can be, a habitable world. This mission is going to last for two years approx.
- Curiosity is two times larger and five times heavier than old-generation Mars rovers ‘Spirit’ and ‘Opportunity’,
- It rivals a small SUV in size and carries 15 times the weight of the scientific instruments that Spirit and Opportunity have.
- Curiosity Rover cost $ 2.6 billion.
- Curiosity is NASA's seventh landing on Mars
- The arrival was a never-before-tried acrobatics as Curiosity sliced through the Martian atmosphere at 13,000 mph.
- The voyage to Mars took more than eight months and spanned 352 million miles.
- The nuclear-powered Curiosity, the size of a small car, is packed with scientific tools, cameras and a weather station. It sports a robotic arm with a power drill, a laser that can zap distant rocks, a chemistry lab to sniff for the chemical building blocks of life and a detector to measure dangerous radiation on the surface.
- Mars is called the red planet because the landscape is stained rusty-red by the iron-rich dust. Its gravity is only 38 per cent that of Earth.
- The Mars science rover Curiosity landed on the Martian surface shortly after 10:30 pm on 5th August 2012 (11:00 am - 6th August 2012- IST)
First real image of Curiosity from Mars: