Category: Madhu's Zone
Written by Madhumita Nayyar
- Bangda fish- 6-8 numbers
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder (haldi)- ¾ - 1 tsp
- Green chillies (harimirch) -8
- Green coriander (hara dhania)- 1 ½ - 2 cups
- Kokum/ tamarind (imli)/ Mango powder (amchoor)- ½ -3/4 cup
- Garlic (lahsun) – one whole pod made into paste (around 5-6 tbspoonfuls)
- Peppercorns (kalimirch) – 1 tsp
- Cumin (jeera) – 1 ½ -2 tsp
- Oil for frying – around 2 tbsp
- Rice flour (chawal ka atta)- 3-4 tbsp ( can use semolina too)
- Cut, clean & wash the fish. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Make slits (cuts) on both the sides.
- Rub the salt & turmeric properly inside & outside. Let it rest.
- Mix all the masala (spices) along with a little salt & water & grind coarsely.
- Now apply this paste all over the fish, all of them. Apply inside the slits & the stomach too & then leave it for 25-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes heat oil in a cauldron or pan, when it starts smoking take each fish, coat with the rice flour/ semolina, shake to dust off the excess flour & then tip into the hot oil.
- Let it fry on one side for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame till golden, then turn it over & do the same for the other side. Fish cooks fast so do not over do. Serve hot.
In case you are health conscious instead of frying you steam the fish in a foil or a kela patta (a banana leaf). I can assure you it will taste as good..