ads by google
"Twitter twitter little star...how I wonder what you are... up above the internet so high....like a diamond on the (web)sky..." ;). On Thursday i.e. on 10th October 2013, the social media giant, Twitter made an announcement about its going public and releasing an IPO. Here are a few interesting facts about Twitter that you might not know. Enjoy reading!
- Twitter was born on March 21, 2006 when co-founder Jack Dorsey's account (@jack) automatically sent out the first tweet, which read: "just setting up my twttr."
- More than 170 billion tweets have since gone out worldwide. Twitter said on Thursday that it had 218 million active users, as of June.
- Twitter is based in San Francisco, with additional employees in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington. Its total payroll exceeds 900.
- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) has the most followers with 45,366,914 as of 2200 GMT Thursday, followed by Katy Perry (@katyperry) with 44,122,303 and Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) with 40,229,059. US President Barack Obama (@barackobama) is fourth with 37,501,850 followers; the announcement of his re-election victory in November 2012 was re-tweeted more than 800,000 times.
- There are more than 200 million active Twitter users. Eighty percent of all users access Twitter on mobile devices.
- About 20 million Twitter accounts are believed to be fake.
- The hashtag (#) feature on Twitter which groups tweets by subject came to life in August 2007, after a suggestion by a user.
- In January 2013, Twitter introduced Vine, which enabled users to make and tweet six-second looping videos. Some 12 million Vine videos are uploaded every day.
- It was co-founded by Biz Stone, Evan Williams and Jack Dorsey -- @biz, @ev and @jack.
- Twitter chief executive Dick Costolo has been earlier an improvisational comedian.
ads by google